news

Doors Open Toronto

On the weekend of May 26 and 27, 2012 Queen City Yacht Club will be opening its doors to the people of Toronto from 10am to 5pm (last tour at 4pm).

Our Club House will be the hight light of the tour. The Clubhouse was built in 1921 on a sand spit in Toronto Harbour on what was then called Sunfish Island (Algonquin Island) made from dregate from the harbour. Ironically it was this dredging which caused the original Club house, located on a pier on York St. falling into the harbour and forcing the relocation to the Island. The Club House was built in the traditional style of a yacht club with a great hall for entertainment and meetings. We will also have a guided tour of our marine railway and presentations on the history of the Clubhouse, marine railway and our founding Commodore Thomas Albert Edward World.