First Sailing Program
Excerpt from Centennial book, page 22:
"In its first year, QCYC had a weekly racing program for two classes, the results of which were reported, in detail, by The World, one of three major newspapers in Toronto at the time. The first club race took place on Saturday, August 10, 1889, and every Saturday thereafter.
The first class boats were between 20 and 25 corrected length and raced from the clubhouse at the foot of York St. to the buoy at Gibraltar Point (at that time, just inside the Western Gap), then to the Eastern Gap, then to a spar buoy near Hanlan's and from there to the clubhouse buoy.
Second class boats, under 20 feet corrected length, raced from the clubhouse to the Eastern Gap, then to a spar buoy near Hanlan's and from there to the clubhouse buoy. ..... "
by Wayne Lilley
Excerpts and photos with permission from Wayne Lilley and Steve Manley
- Our Spirit
- Club & Dining
- Join Us