The Early Years
Excerpt from Centennial book, page 13:
" History doesn't record the atmosphere upstairs over the dinghy lockers in the boathouse at 99 and 100 Clindinning Row on July 17, 1889. But in the 100 years since, the history of Queen City Yacht Club suggests that a sense of enthusiasm must have bathed the room. For months, a coterie of friends who'd sailed from assorted boathouses near the foot of York St. had bandied about the idea of forming a new sailing club. Now the plan was taking shape.
At least a few of the 21 at the inaugural meeting had some connection with the Toronto Yacht Club. The TYC began life in 1850 as the Toronto Boat Club, with blue and gold as its colours. Its name changed to the Toronto Yacht Club in 1852 and then in 1854 to the Canadian Yacht Club, which would ultimately become the Royal Canadian Yacht Club.
But the Toronto Yacht Club didn't disappear forever. In 1880, RCYC vacated its Toronto moorings and moved to its present Toronto Island site. Evidently not all members endorsed the move, and the same year the dissidents created the TYC, complete with its blue and gold colours. It apparently survived until 1889 when it again amalgamated with RCYC. But for reasons that remain obscure - perhaps because they still didn't want to move to the Island - some TYC members chose once more not to go along with the merger. As early as 1888 members of that group had been talking of a brand new club of their own. Even the name Queen City had been settled on, inspired by the reference to Toronto at the time as The Queen City of the Lake. By 1889, plans had become formal, with leadership provided by one T.A.E. "Tommy" World, a 27-year-old veteran of the recent Northwest Rebellion. This name would live in Queen City's history for the next 100 years."
by Wayne Lilley
Excerpts and photos with permission from Wayne Lilley and Steve Manley
- Our Spirit
- Club & Dining
- Join Us